
Covered in blood, she told the officers to kill her and dropped the blade after the stabbings took place.
minute read
A mother from Mandan, North Dakota, has been charged with the murder and attempted murder of her three children, two of whom were killed and one of whom was stabbed but is expected to make a full recovery.
Shocking details were revealed in an affidavit that Kailey Erhart, 22, was seen on video while armed with a pistol telling her husband, “Say goodbye to your kids,” according to Valley News Live. She faces two counts of murder, attempted murder, two counts of terrorizing with a dangerous weapon, and others in connection to the deaths of two of her children and the serious injury of another that took place on August 6.
According to police documents, officers responded to a report that a mother had stabbed her children in Mandan and when the police entered the home, they confronted Erhart, who was holding a knife up to her own throat.
Covered in blood, she told the officers to kill her and dropped the blade. After searching the home, the officers found three children on a bed with injuries to their necks. A 1-year-old required surgery and survived the ordeal; however, a 5-month-old and 3-year-old were pronounced dead.
Speaking to police, Erhart said she remembered placing the children on the bed after their throats had already been cut. She remembered being confronted by police but did not remember everything that took place, according to an affidavit. She and her husband were in the process of separating when the incident took place.
The father also reported Erhart previously to mental health services and said the mother had threatened to harm herself and the children. Erhart had also been committed to a mental hospital recently but was on medication. She was cleared to be with her children at the time of the killings.
According to People, the 1-year-old son, Colton Erhart, is expected to make a full recovery from the attack.
The case comes as Massachusetts mother Lindsay Clancy is on trial for the murder of her three children. She admitted to strangling the three kids, whose ages ranged between 5 years old and eight months, before attempting to kill herself and jumping out of a window, leaving herself paralyzed.
Public support for Clancy has been overwhelming as women have donned pink shirts and gathered outside the courthouse to show their advocacy for her not guilty by reason of mental defect plea. Her family has raised over $1 million for their own expenses and advocates for Clancy say that she needed more mental health and childcare support. She had a nanny until after the birth of her third child when she chose to leave her career in nursing and stay home with her children. Her family and her inlaws lived nearby, her husband worked from home, and she was in the care of multiple doctors who prescribed her medication to aid her anxiety, sleeplessness, and other concerns.
